Thursday, May 10, 2007

To Answer your questions

How awesome that I got some questions to answer!


Jessi asked what we planned to do as far as electricity is concerned. We are getting bids on a solar electrical system. It's going to cost us a bunch up front, but it'll pay for itself over time. We're going to have panels on the roof of our shed and the whole system will be housed there. While GB is organizing that, I'll be getting a full lesson when the time comes so that I can help troubleshoot it (since we won't be able to just call up the electric company for service!)


Erica asked about the spinach. Here, from the website of the nursery we bought it from:

Okinawan Spinach: Is it an ornamental ground cover or is it a vegetable? It's both! Okinawan spinach is a succulent vine that gets about a foot tall and sprawls around forming a thick matte of stems and leaves. They are tangy to the taste, and beautiful to the eye.

I've also heard that it's a cholesterol lowering leafy green. My experience, however is that spinaches here on the islands aren't all that yummy. If you harvest the *very* youngest leaves, they're not so bad, but otherwise they're tough and slimy. So while I'm sure we'll taste it, and use it in a pinch, I don't see us eating a whole bunch of it.

We planted it mainly for it's fast growing and matte cover for the (formerly) eroding hillside.

No comments: