Friday, September 28, 2007

Ah concrete..... how I love thee

let me count the ways

When I lived in a city, I felt stifled by concrete. I always referred to my city as a concrete jungle. Then I moved to Hawaii and everything changed. You see, it is SO green here, and SO lush here, that concrete is a much needed (at least for me) change of scenery. Plus.... where there is concrete, there is no mud.
A couple of years ago we made a concrete walkway around the perimeter of our house. It is by far one of the best home improvement project we ever did.... and we've done a lot.

So it was with great excitement that I awoke today knowing that the guys were pouring our house slab (foundation) today.

We arrived in the late am, when one truck was leaving and another coming.

Gene had a sign out on the highway, marking the way




the guys are waiting

concrete is pouring out of the hose over there. Luka and I are watching.

One guy is spreading the concrete with the hose. Gene has a mixer thing and is churning up the concrete. The other guys are getting ready to smooth it out. There's a guy in the background using some kind of round sanding looking machine on the already drying stuff.


Here's the cesspool cover. We need to remember its location. And yes, that's a toilet sitting there in the dirt. I think they'll stick it over the cesspool eventually.

No comments: