Monday, November 05, 2007

Planting Day

GB and I set out yesterday to plant a bunch of palms we have had forever. It was a cloudy, pre-storm day- perfect for planting!

First GB mowed and cleared the area with the tractor
Here are the palms- waiting in the truck to be put in the ground and out of those pesky and confining pots.

We planted dypsis lutescens and dypsis vestiaria (otherwise known as areca palms- the vestiaria have reddish orange stems)
dypsis vestiaria
unfurling frond
full plant

In between working, I visited the house site to see how things are going. We're still waiting on the glulams, but there were a few there, so you can see the ceiling or the downstairs/ upstairs floor start to take shape.
I climbed up on some scaffolding so I could see what it would look like from the house. But I guesstimated that it'll still be another 5+ feet above where I was. Still, it looked cool from up there!


I love to take pictures of the little things. Here's a whole "forest" growing on some bamboo GB cut down.



Volunteer papaya tree is growing rapidly and already is forming some flowers.



Bamboo shoot

close up of said bamboo shoot. looks like it needs a shave.


All in all, it was a really productive day, and one where we could see the results of our labor right away. These palms grow fairly quickly, and will fill in this area within a couple of years.

No comments: