Friday, April 11, 2008

Rocking Day

I designed our pool with a waterfall...of real river rock. None of the faux rock for me. I want to keep it real. Sooooo, I had to figure how to get real rock out of the river, up the bank, and into my truck. Karen and I came up with all these complicated schemes involving tractors, sleds, pulleys, and the like, but one morning, in that time between dreams and awaking, I came up with it: hogwire, webbing, and a come-a-long.

You can't get something from nothing, but this really saves my back. (Photos by Noam)

Step #1. Select a rock. 100-200 lbs. Roll rock into place.



Step #2. Roll rock onto hogwire and thread webbing to secure hogwire in a basket around rock.


Step #3. Attach rock to pickup truck. Drive to pull rock up out of river (notice we machete notched a stump to get the right angle of pull. Have your buddy Noam watch to make sure the rock doesn't get hung up on any logs or other rocks)



Step #4. Back truck up and attach come-a-long to hogwire.


Step #5. Use an old solid core door as a ramp and winch rock onto truck.


Step #6. After 3 hours, pose on your pile of 1000+ lbs of river rock knowing you have to double this amount by Monday.


My back is sore, but it would have been totally shot had I rolled these rocks all the way myself.

No comments: