Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Past - Part 4

The 10.5 acre property ‘had a lot of potential’. None that any other buyer could see. It had a bad mosquito population (both in numbers and attitude). The people in this area had used it for a trash dump for about 50 years and you couldn’t see more than 50 feet in any direction because of the dense growth. The property had been on the market unmoved for two years, eventhough the surrounding properties were skyrocketing and selling to mainlanders like hotcakes.

I took a number of photos of the abandoned cars and trash. I told the seller I would pay full asking price if he dealt with all the trash, otherwise I’d pay about half. I was bluffing about the full price, but the seller had never seen the property close up. He was shocked at the photos and agreed to my offer. I closed my purchase about the same time as selling my tree farm for untold amounts of money. My dad’s basic lesson: Buy Low, Sell High. Buy Low. Easy right?

No comments: