Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Home Design Version 6:

The Flying Donut with the Koi Pond Center

Everyone that knows me thinks I'm either a little bit crazy or...well, off the deep end. As my father says, I do everything the hard way. But this time Karen is just as crazy as I.

Karen told me that she wanted a home with most everything on one floor- her childhood dream home. (That usually means single story on the ground)

All my previous designs were multiple levels. One had a different level for almost every room!

So I came up with the idea of having everything up and parking underneath. I kept the media room down with an outside shower and WC for ease of enjoying the pool.



With my OCD "attentiveness" I did a lot of drawings before coming up with this design. I liked it. You walk in the home on a four foot wide stairway that goes above one end of a large Koi pond. The roof only covers the rooms which encircle the Koi pond about 8-10ft in the air (hence the Flying Donut)



Light reflects off the Koi pond through windows into the living room, kitchen and upstairs lanai areas.



Nice. Except I had my reservations about the walking distances in the home, the long stairs, etc. Karen said "this is it". So, as my father says, in the case of your wife's happiness, whatever it costs, pay it. These designs go to the draftswoman this week. Plus when we told Ra'am about our concerns of the distances from his room to the pool, etc. his reply was "now I feel REALLY spoiled".

No comments: