Sunday, March 11, 2007

Landslide... snafu #2

I am perfectly aware that in this process of creating this wee bit of paradise that there will be a gazillion snafus. So calling this one #2 is just funny. In any case....

After that really successful removal of the umbrella grass, GB and I headed off to the land to do a few things. Mostly I just wanted to pace things out for the house.

Imagine my surprise and shock when I looked at our newly planted hillside and found a $150 bamboo plant on its side- with the roots all exposed:
Of course I ran right down there to save the plant. This is an expensive plant, after all. And lo and behold.... the ground was just SATURATED with water, and my poor leg sunk right down to the knee.
I tried in vain to pull myself out. GB, of course was too far away to holler at.
My phone rang, and it was my dad, who was so upset to hear that his daughter was stuck in a landslide. I'm sure he was picturing Malibu type landslides (ha ha!).

I knew GB would eventually get close enough. So I took a picture of where the mud I was in came from. see the SCAR.
GB eventually did help pull me out. The ground was so soft everywhere it was really hard to get traction.

The upshot is, we had an engineer come out to assess what we could do. Since this hillside edges our already smallish house pad, it's important that we control the erosion. Our rainfall here is so intense, and we can't have more dirt leaving us every time it rains (or before the plants we're planning on planting take root).

No comments: